Thursday, September 4, 2008

All Part of Life

Sorry I haven't been around lately. As the previous post said, another unwelcome turn appeared on scene. More computer woes.

On Friday last week, at least if I can recall correctly, it was Friday...our son who lives in New York/New Jersey surprised us, or rather me, by stopping in for the night on his way to the Bahamas (lucky him!) for vacation. He was actually staying with his friend in Ft. Lauderdale. He called father around 2:00 in the afternoon to let him know he would be in but not to tell Mom. They all love to play games with me! So as I was sitting scrapping...I see a car pull up front, the door open and all of a sudden I am getting a kiss from behind! DS #2! How nice that was!!! He took us out to eat a Carrabbas and we had a very nice time.

The next day DS was going to go to the gym and head back to Ft. Lauderdale. On the way he just happened to drop me off the best hot pressed Cuban sandwich...as he always does when he leaves. Our family is steeped in tradition! Friday proceeded as usual, looking forward to the long weekend...it had been a really hard week for both DH and me. They day over we proceed to our "traditional" Starbucks stop and head on home. Trouble on horizon we didn't expect. As I proceed to do the normal walk in the house through the kitchen and dining room I press the button for the computer monitor and then the computer. Nothing is happening!!! Only the blue screen on the monitor that says HP Invent. I asked "What is this? We don't usually get this screen!"

So right I was. As we got exploring, we had no computer, no televisions and no phones. As we found out, it was our lucking day to have been struck by lightning! We didn't even know there had been a storm. That is the good Florida weather! It seems that the surge came through our cable. (Suggestion...make sure your cable goes through your battery back up/surge protector. Our didn't!) Fried the computer, not the brand new printer. Got the cable boxes but not the televisions. Shorted the phone boxes outside...not the phones. Ugh.

Well, although the limping budget didn't like it...it was off Saturday to shop for a good, yet cheap computer *sigh* Not only was this a money concern...as you all probably know by now...neither Jim nor I am really high up on the computer hardware knowledge scale. So here we are going down the aisles of Walmart with darling daughter Nancy on the cell phone!!! I am reading boxes to her. Good...not good...fair...real good. Good price...bad price...oh brother!! Why do I have to be so stupid about these things???

Well, off to Best Buy. Start to look again. Then this young man comes up and wants to help. Seems nice. I like him. So as only I could do, I say to him, I really did say this, "Are you smart?" I didn't have to look at DH. Nothing I say ever affects him. He just goes on!!! The young man smiled and said to me, "Yes." I was impressed. Not too many people will really admit they are smart and not look cocky!! I said, "I knew you were...I could tell". We both had a chuckle. Ha ha...we bonded at that point!!

So our woes were discussed, along with what we would be doing on our computer, and he led us to the computer he thought would fill our needs. I was thrilled. Having gone over what I needed with DD and what was on this I was very impressed with him. And the price was unbelievable. It was on sale! Thank you, AGAIN, Lord!

I didn't bother to call DD. I knew this was right. You know...sometimes you just know these things.

LOL LOL I do have to add one more thing. Our darling daughter has been wanting a MAC in the biggest way for the longest time. So when I got in the car...mean Mom called her and said, "You are going to hate me!" "Mom," she said. "You didn't get a MAC did you?" "You are going to hate me", I repeated. "Mom, did YOU get a MAC?" I just laughed. "MOM, did you???" LOL by now I am laughing so hard. I finally had to come clean and tell her I did not get a MAC. She said,"I was just about to hang up on you!! LOL LOL"

Sometimes it is just fun to play!! Takes a lot of the tension out of doing something you really don't want to do. But in the end she was really amazed at what we had bought and the price we got. The end of what started out a pretty bleak aturday.

That was the start of a long few days. The next few days had been filled with learning how to set up a new computer...oh what a joy!!! Thank God we knew how to match colors!! Then cable repairman and phone guy! Wonderful fun!!! We are still putting bits and pieces back together but it is coming.

Now that we are out of the stupor of the shock of this all hitting at once we can look at what really happened. It really wasn't that bad. Oh, the budget took a very unwelcome hit...but a blessing that we could handle it. We had to deal with redoing a computer. So...we got some extra together time and got to work on something together. We missed the TV really bad...but...made us realize how addicted we were to it and even picked up books we had laid down and I got to scrap! That was nice. Now the phones...it was rather pleasant without them. We had our cells so family could still reach us. Bet we drove the solicitors crazy not being able to call...and we have the NO Call set up...doesn't work very well, does it. But life is getting back to normal slowly but surely. But this is all part of life.

And believe me, Jim and I both know we would rather have our problems of the past weekend than most anyone else's problem! We are always keenly aware that no matter what is happening to you...the person standing next to you is most likely dealing with a problem many times worse than yours.If all our problems were put in a hat we sure would be hoping to draw out our own!!

Life is not easy. But as they say...let's not sweat the small stuff. At the time I saw that blue screen on the computer...I didn't think it was a small thing...then coupled with the TVs and phones! But you know what...? They were small things. As time went on...we were able to laugh about it. All this at once! And after a few days of confusion and hassle...we are pretty well back to normal...or rather what we call normal!! LOL And I am pretty sure better off because of it!

We have a brand new computer...with no trash on it that downloads when you put a new program on your computer. The TVs are working great! The phones are back on...I missed all those solicitors on my answering machine. I do need to see why we are still getting those wonderful calls! And we sure had a break in the hum drum of our lives!! Had some good laughs together, especially as I was trying to tell Jim how the directions said to hook up that silly computer ! I was designated reader of directions!! Not always a good thing since men and women use opposite sides of their brains for that kind of stuff and see it totally different!

Remember. Life is good. Thank God for it. Enjoy it.

My thought for the day.

Just felt like sharing a bit of beautiful Florida with you all today. Take a close-up look. I think these are beautiful. Hope you like it!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guruette :)

Thanks for making me evaluate whether or not I need (or should I say - if I can swing one in the budget!) a new computer now after seeing how nice your new one is! LOL!

Terry said...

Good for you getting the new computer working! Now you can digi! Proud that you did not sweat the small stuff---well, almost. At the time it seems stressful and then we look back and say "don't sweat the small stuff."

Can't wait to see some of your digi stuff again.